Monday, 5 January 2009

New Year - New Skills

I have been wanting to try my hand at knitting for some time now. In fact I have owned the Rowan book for about two years. A lack of confidence and the fact that the balls of wool were £6.50 each (!) had made me reluctant to buy the wool and have a go. But I bit the bullet and bought the two balls of wool needed and huge 20mm knitting needles.

The plan is for me to knit a collar /capelt type thing. Well, that's the plan anyway. I have made a start and found that the needles are very large and quite unwieldy, but I am perservering. If for no other reason that the wool was so expensive!

I did have a photo of the book and the wool etc all ready to go, but Blogger is playing up and won't let me upload them - sorry! I'll try another day.

The only photo it will let me upload is that of some books I bought on my charity shop trawls. Fluffy chick lit for 30p each. And they are sitting on a polka dot scarf that I couldn't resist.

No doubt I will be back with my knitting saga and asking for some help along the way! Wish me luck ............


tam said...

Good luck with that lil project! My grammy taught me to knitt when I was a little girl but I didnt keep it up and have forgotten how. Hoping someday I can find someone who mill teach me.
Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

. said...

Looks like the years is begining well. I can't wait to see some things knitted.


Tracy x said...

hey you x
take a peek over at Dragon Yarns - they have some rather nice yarns at quite good prices x
hope that you are well?
must catch up soon - lovely to see you blogging again - we have missed you :)
take care
t x

Primrose Hill said...

Hello you, Happy New Year to you! Have just sent you a little e-mail to say hello and catch up.
Good for you on the knitting front. I was hoping to get into knitting over the hols after doing our knitting course in the autumn, but I've never managed it yet! Hopefully Karen will come and do a refresher course with me one afternoon if I bribe her with lots of tea and cake!
Good to see you back blogging again.
Take care,

L xxxx

Janette said...

Hi, hope you do well with your knitting. My mum taught me to knit when I was little but I;ve never been that good at it. I taught myself to crochet following vids on U tube and have found it much easier and more relaxing. If you struggle with the patterns in the book it might be worth looking on U Tube for some step by step stuff???

have fun

Ragged Roses said...

Happy New Year Samantha to you and all your gorgeous boys!!! Good luck with the knitting, you're a brave woamn, I just can't do it!!!!!! Love that polka dot scarf, you always seem to find the best things! Take care, keep warm

Wild Rose said...

Hi Samantha,

I wish I lived close enough to give you some help with your knitting!

Happy New Year!

Marie x

saraeden said...

Happy New Year !!

I hope the knitting goes well i am wanting to learn to crochet !!!

Sara x

Rosie said...

Good for you, knitting is so relaxing... well it might not be for you at the moment, but it will be - promise!
Happy New Year to you.

GigerVamp said...

Hi Samantha, Happy New Year!

My nan taught me to knit when I was little but I've never really got on very well with it, so now I'm learning to crochet. Made 3 scarves and 2 granny squares so far! I'm finding crochet much easier.

Good luck with your knitting. :)

Jools x

Leslie said...

Good Luck with the knitting. A friend taught me about a year ago and I was so clumsy with the needles I almost gave up. I love knitting now. Try Teach Yourself Visually Knitting (Teach Yourself Visually): Sharon Turner: Books. The pictures help alot.